This course provides an introduction to qualitative research approaches for those thinking of undertaking qualitative or mixed method research within health care settings. No prior knowledge of qualitative research methods is assumed.
The session will introduce qualitative research, describe sources of qualitative data, consider the techniques qualitative researchers use and give an overview of the theoretical approaches underlying a variety of common qualitative research methods.
At the end of the workshop those attending should be able to:
- Understand what qualitative analysis is and how it differs from quantitative research
- Identify sources of qualitative data and the techniques researchers may use to collect relevant data
- Be aware of the theoretical assumptions underlying qualitative research methods
- Identify the skills and knowledge required to design a qualitative research project, collect qualitative data and analyse it rigorously
- Gain an awareness of the resources available to help develop skills and knowledge.
Course places can be booked via Roy Halliday, Research & Development Support Officer, NHS Fife (email email@example.com).