This workshop is designed to help health care staff identify the strengths and weaknesses of research papers. This is particularly important for staff planning services and deciding when to change practice as these decisions should be based on robust evidence. The course will also help those designing their own projects and writing up their results in ad hoc reports and peer-reviewed papers. At the end of the course those attending should be able to:
- Define what is meant by critical appraisal
- Describe the key features of quantitative & qualitative research
- Understand the strengths and weaknesses of different quantitative studies/designs
- Identify the correct study design for a given research question
- Be familiar with the hierarchy of evidence
- Be familiar with critical appraisal check lists
- Have an understanding of sources of bias
- Gain practical experience in critical appraisal of a research paper.
Course places can be booked via Roy Halliday, Research & Development Support Officer, NHS Fife (email firstname.lastname@example.org).